Does SFR provide support after you are subscribed to a service and start paying?

utilisateur_supprimé
Non applicable

I decided to get internet service from SFR after I was advised at this site https://en.selectra.info/broadband-phone-france/guides/internet, that SFR is reliable and can provide support also in English. But I don't see this is the case!

The matter is, I'm subscribed to an option, which promises internet speed of 200Mbs, but the connection never ever reaches even 20Mbs, in average my connection speed is only 5-8Mbs!

To report about the problem, I've tried to connect to SFR live support, but that stopped working after I subscribed to SFR! Neither I was not able to find an option to write an email. Only at the SFR sale point I was given four digit french number to get the help. But this number is completely useless, if you don't speak French!

So, how SFR provides support to clients, who don't speak French? Or, this is not relevant anymore after are subscribed to SFR and SFR starts receiving money?

16 RÉPONSES 16
Ryry
Client Top Contributeur

Hello,

I don't even know if SFR can provide support in English... But we can try to help you here, where we are all SFR customers like you.

> I'm subscribed to an option, which promises internet speed of 200Mbs

You to avoid any confusion (fiber "FttH", of fiber with coaxial termination "FttB") can you tell us exactly what is your box supplied by SFR (see images and official names in the following page HERE)

> but the connection never ever reaches even 20Mbs, in average my connection speed is only 5-8Mbs!

1. Are you giving us the results measured with wifi (not reliable to avoid auxialiary problems) ? Or did you perform these measures with the supplied Etehrnet cable (RJ45)?
  2. What tool or site web did you use for the measure? (http://speedtest.net and manually select the server in Massy is recommended).

Regards.

Digiclient NC → parti de sa planète disparue, pour une nouvelle terre d'accueil ♥
LaBox THD 4K (V3) - Connexion FttLA à 1000↓↑40 Mbit/s

utilisateur_supprimé
Non applicable

Hello,

To answer your questions:

The box provided by SFR is this one: https://assistance.sfr.fr/internet-et-box/modem-thd-wifi-ac/accueil.html?par=2

1. The speed was measured surely using wifi connection to the box (as at home I use wifi). But I really don't think this is a problem related to wifi. If this is wifi, how bad quality it must be to have so really bad connection?!

2. To be objective, I had measured the speed using various sites (at least 4 each time) and during many different days. For your request I have just tried also with http://www.speedtest.net/ and I should tell you, that today I have exceptionally, catastrophically BAD speed:  0.50Mbs download and 0.00 upload!

Describing the speed quality in other words (at best times) it is so: loading the internet pages is very slow; remote connection (through PuTTY) to other computers (even at CERN) breaks within less a minute time!; even speaking by skype is not possible, not mentioning of video chat, which is practically impossible!

Ryry
Client Top Contributeur

Hello,

So your box is "MODEM THD wifi AC".

A box on the FttB network (i.e. fiber terminated by coaxial cable).

Then can you give use a copy/paste of the infos of "ficheir de configuration" and "fréquences" (visible on http://192.168.0.1 then tab RÉSEAU > Paramètres avancés > Fréquences câble)

> The speed was measured surely using wifi connection to the box (as at home I use wifi). But I really don't think this is a problem related to wifi.

You can't know.

And the point was to ensure that your connection is OK or not. By adding the incertainty of wifi (its performance depends on your home situation) your just add more problem making impossible to know where the problem is.

> If this is wifi, how bad quality it must be to have so really bad connection?!

There is p^lenty of reasons. We'll discus of that only if it is the case. The priority is to ensure if your internet connection (is good or not, considering the frequencies above, and the sppedtest performaned WITOUT wifi.

regads.

Digiclient NC → parti de sa planète disparue, pour une nouvelle terre d'accueil ♥

utilisateur_supprimé
Non applicable

Hello,

Sorry, I've just to my computer at home.

Francly speaking it's not clear to me where to find the parameters you have requested.

At http://192.168.0.1 I see one page, where there the following items can be found:

Mode,
DHCP,
Your IP address,
Your subnet mask,
Your default gateway,
Your DNS,
Network Status,
Maximum downstream datarate,
Maximum upstream datarate,
WiFi Status 2.4 GHz,
WiFi Status 5 GHz,
Guest WiFi Status 2.4 GHz,
VoIP Status,
Line 1 Status,
Line 2 Status,
Standard Specification Compliant,
Hardware version,
Software version,
Cable MAC address,
Device MAC address,
CM Certificate,
System Up Time,
Current Time;

Is among them any item you need?

And I don't know to which "RÉSEAU"(="NETWORK"?) tab to go in order to find "Fréquences câble"

Ryry
Client Top Contributeur

Hello,

> Francly speaking it's not clear to me where to find the parameters you have requested.

> And I don't know to which "RÉSEAU"(="NETWORK"?) tab to go in order to find "Fréquences câble"

I gave you the full path to this tab (yes, spelled RESEAU in French, which is NETWORK if you switch your interface to English)

http://192.168.0.1 then tab RÉSEAU > Paramètres avancés > Fréquences câble

which mean (using words from English version of the interface)

1. Go to to http://192.168.0.1
  2. Log in (Button "Set you Gateway", Username is admin, Password is the one written on the sticker under your device)
  3. Click on tab NETWORK (at the top)
  4. Click on "Advanced Settings" (at left)
  5. Click on "Frequencies" (at left)
  6. Then you see the requested page (like the 3rd image in this message HERE from a device not very different from yours) and make a copy/paste to the forum.

à+

utilisateur_supprimé
Non applicable

This is a trail to see, if just copy/paste works. If not, I'll send you also a picture of the page.

NETWORK / ADVANCED SETTINGS / FREQUENCIES

The data supplied in the board below indicates the frequency on which the cable modem is currently synhronized.

Downstream Frequency 194000000 Hz

The field below allows you to modify the frequency on which the cable modem begins its analysis during the initialization and the authentication. Insert the new start frequency and click on " Click here to record the parameter and restart the peripheral ". Warning! Do not modify anything here without the advice of your ISP.

Starting Frequency
KHz

Startup procedure

Procedure Status Comment
Downstream acquisition : 194000000 Hz Locked
Connection Status : OK Operational
Registering Status : OK Operational
Configuration File : OK sfr_fast3686v1b_200m_20m_sip.cm
Security : Enabled BPI+

Downstream Bonded Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power SNR
Locked QAM256 25 6952 Ksym/sec 194000000 Hz 15.3 dBmV 39.9 dB
Locked QAM256 26 6952 Ksym/sec 202000000 Hz 15.3 dBmV 40.0 dB
Locked QAM256 27 6952 Ksym/sec 210000000 Hz 15.2 dBmV 40.1 dB
Locked QAM256 28 6952 Ksym/sec 218000000 Hz 15.1 dBmV 40.0 dB
Locked QAM256 29 6952 Ksym/sec 226000000 Hz 15.2 dBmV 40.3 dB
Locked QAM256 30 6952 Ksym/sec 234000000 Hz 15.2 dBmV 40.3 dB
Locked QAM256 31 6952 Ksym/sec 242000000 Hz 15.2 dBmV 40.2 dB
Locked QAM256 32 6952 Ksym/sec 250000000 Hz 15.2 dBmV 40.2 dB
Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Upstream Bonded Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 1 5120 Ksym/sec 60400000 Hz 33.3 dBmV
Locked ATDMA 2 5120 Ksym/sec 54000000 Hz 31.8 dBmV
Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
Ryry
Client Top Contributeur

Hello,

So, according to the page you copied:

• you have a connection config for 200 Mbit/s (download) / 20 Mbit/s (upload)
  • your frequencies are rather good
    download : more than 15 dBmV is rather a maximum I've ever seen (usually around 12, 15 is a maximum for the norm), but SNR is good (usually around 42)
    upload : usually 42 dBmV, your value of 31 and 33 are a bit at the minimum for the norm

So your values are quite good, but just at the limits.

I ensure you that you should perform a test with cable RJ45 (without wifi). I really suppose that a large part of your problems come from wifi.

What are your results obtained with RJ45 Ethernet cable on http://speedtest.net and manually selecting the server of Massy (the most reliable one).

Regards.

utilisateur_supprimé
Non applicable

Hello,

You are right!  With the cable the speed is a lot much higher, download ~120Mbs, upload ~20Mbs.
I am very surprised with so low quality of the wifi.

1. Is the low wifi speed related to the bad quality of the wifi-device as of general (i.e. the device being of poor quality class)?
Or, is this just a matter of accidental failure of the device (which can happen) or maybe some connections are not so well connected (can also happen)?

2. What kind of solutions do exist in this case?
Does SFR repair or replace the device, if the problem is with the device?

Thank you!

Ryry
Client Top Contributeur

Hell,

> download ~120Mbs, upload ~20Mbs.

OK, That's more usual.

Nevertheless I'm a bit surprised of "only" 120 Mbs of 200 at max

• Did you use http://speedtest.net with manual selection of the server in Massy as I suggested?
  • Are these results the same at any hour (in the afternoon... or in the evening as rush hour ?)

> I am very surprised with so low quality of the wifi. [...] What kind of solutions do exist

In fact there plenty of reasons, as you said:

• the device is not functioning correctly
  • you are too far from the box when using the wifi
  • your wifi neighbourhood is very surrounded by many other wifi networks
  • your wifi channel is not the most appropriated
  • etc.

A first set of observations could be made to help understanding your particular situation:

1. Where are you usually using your wifi with so poor performances (far from the box?, with several walls in between?)
  2. Is the wifi performance better and correct when you are close to the box? (just in front of it)
  3. Have you the same poor results with different devices (laptop, smartphone, tablets...)?
  4. Which wifi frequency are you using from your devices: 2,4 GHz or 5 GHz (wifi-ac 5 GHz is more recent, has doubled speed, and more available channels likely to avoid interferences from the neighboring wifis. If you don't know which wifi is used by your device connected to the box, you can set different names to the 2 wifi hotspots of your box by entering the setup interface on http://192.168.0.1
  5. BTW, have you many neighbouring wifis detected with the "radar" in this interface: tab WIFI > Wifi radar?

Regards.

Comment gagner des badges

Badges En savoir plus