utilisateur_supprimé
Non applicable

Hi,

I've checked the speed again and it is exactly the same as before. I brought cable only today evening, so thus was not able to perform test at other times. In principle, if I get the wifi connection with that speed, I would be fully satisfied.

As of your question "Did you use http://speedtest.net with manual selection of the server in Massy as I suggested?", honestly I don't understand where to find settings to set Massy server on that web to perform that test. Neither quick internet search helped me. Is this very important?

As of the rest of your questions:

1-2. I am sitting in just 4-5 meters distance from the box, with no obstacle in-between. Even coming and sitting on top of the box brings almost nothing, the speed increases only to ~14Mbs (with the upload becoming ~16Mbs).

3. At home I have 3 rather different laptops, and the speed is the same (very low) for all of them. At my work with my laptop I have incomparably better wifi connection.
 So neither distance to the box, interference of other nets, as well as the computer itself, I think, has anything to do with the speed.

4. In my laptop currently the 802.11n is enabled (from "netsh wlan show interfaces" command), so thus both, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz can be used. In fact the http://192.168.0.1 page also shows that both are enabled, but I don't know which one is in use.

5. At the moment I see 14 hotspots. Do you need any further information on them?

Ryry
Client Top Contributeur

Hello,

> As of your question "Did you use http://speedtest.net with manual selection of the server in Massy as I suggested?", honestly I don't understand where to find settings to set Massy server on that web to perform that test. Neither quick internet search helped me. Is this very important?

It's not VERY important, but as I told you, the Massy server is the one said to be reliable, even for high speed.

On the other hand, in automatic mode, speedtest.net select a server that is near from you... but that server could be a bit slown and give false measures... That's all.

So when you want to share speedtest results, apart from "Masser server", people will say you it's not completely reliable and furthermore not very comparable.

To change server on http://speedtest.net (for instance after the result are displayed in automatic mode), it's very easy: you should have seen it => there is a link "Change Server just under the upload speed result Smiley heureux

> So neither distance to the box, interference of other nets, as well as the computer itself, I think, has anything to do with the speed.

You also thought the low internet speed had nothing to do with wifi when I suggested you to first test without wifi...

Once again, I tell you: you can't know... before testing and verifying it! You're playing poker with such suppositions.

> In my laptop currently the 802.11n is enabled

So this is a rather "slow" wifi... Half as low as wifi-ac (only available on 5 GHz)

And therefore (since it's a quite old wifi, I guess this computer is not a very recent and performant wifi device).

>  so thus both, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz can be use

Yes wifi-n does old 2.4 GHz and also newer 5 GHz, which makes it avoid more interference than in 2.4 GHz (because there is less available channels in 2.4 GHz)

But wifi-ac in 5 GHz is much faster than wifi-n in 2.4 and 5 GHz.

> In fact the http://192.168.0.1 page also shows that both are enabled, but I don't know which one is in use.

I know they are both in use. As I told you before, they are both enabled with the same name by default (this is rather practical).

But it prevents you from testing if one is slow and the second is faster.

So I explained you above that you had to give them two DIFFERENT names to be able to select manually on your device to one you want to use for your test.

If you don't do that, you won't know if one is slower than the other, and you won't know if (by chance) your device could be much faster by using the other hotspot frequency.

From my point of view you would get the best wifi speed

1. by ensuring connection to the 5 GHz hotpoint of your box
  2. and by using wifi-ac compatible devices

Regards.

Digiclient NC → parti de sa planète disparue, pour une nouvelle terre d'accueil ♥
LaBox THD 4K (V3) - Connexion FttLA à 1000↓↑40 Mbit/s

utilisateur_supprimé
Non applicable

Hi again,

As  of the server to test the speed, today morning it's 170Mbs irrespective the server, Massy or other.

As of the available wifi connections, these are the ones I have:  802.11a 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n and I don't have wifi-ac. What I tried is, I set the "Preferred wifi" to 5.2GHz but this changes nothing in terms of speed. Is this equivalent to what you were suggesting (giving different names)? If not, then I will try to do exactly what you were suggesting.

Thank you

Ryry
Client Top Contributeur

Hello,

> today morning it's 170Mbs irrespective the server, Massy or other.

(I guess this is with Ethernet cable)

So OK, this result is much more acceptable (for a subscription to 200 Mbit/s) than your previous result of 120 Mbit/s a bit far for the limit.

> As of the available wifi connections, these are the ones I have:  802.11a 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n and I don't have wifi-ac.

None of your computers and devices have wifi-ac?

That's surprising: this better wii-chip is built-in in devices for a couple of years now... Are they wuite old?

This is very disappointing that, with only wifi-n, you are dividing by 2 the wifi speed that you can reach.

> What I tried is, I set the "Preferred wifi" to 5.2GHz but this changes nothing in terms of speed. Is this equivalent to what you were suggesting (giving different names)? If not, then I will try to do exactly what you were suggesting.

No, that's not necessary the same: "prefered wifi" does not "forces" the selection, and then we are not sure.

To be really sure (at least for your tests, you can restore the config after) I suggested you to

set different a name for wifi 2,4 GHz and a second name for wifi 5 GHz (BTW wifi 5,2 GHz does not exist)

compare the two results for wifi speed.

As a last possibility of improving things, I would suggest

1. to stay with 5 GHz wifi
  2. and have a look if your channel is used by many other neighbors.

If all this is OK, and the wifi speed remains at 5-8 Mbit/s as announced in your first message:

=> maybe your box has a problem, and should be replaced by SFR.

regards.

Digiclient NC → parti de sa planète disparue, pour une nouvelle terre d'accueil ♥

utilisateur_supprimé
Non applicable

Hi,

I just moved to France and I too am having the same problem- NO ASSISTANCE IF YOU DO NOT SPEAK FRENCH and very little means of getting through to someone to provide assistance- everything is automated and link and correlated, keeps taking you to another page and to FAQs no real help.

I bout a BOX but didn't know that I needed access to a telephone line to be able to use the box. The telephone line in my apartment is not working so now I have a box that doesn't work and no help from SFR thus far. I am hoping someone here can tell me how to get a BOX Plus SFR to work with or without the cable- how to set up my phone cable or how to get it to work without it.

utilisateur_supprimé
Non applicable

Hello,

If you are still within the first 2 test-weeks, my advice - cancel the contract with SFR without hesitation!

I wasn't able to get ANY help from SFR within a year after even asking my french-speacking friend to call and speak with them, so now I'm moving to another provider.

From my point of view and experience,  there is no point of staying with SFR.

Good luck!

Ryry
Client Top Contributeur

Hello,

Yes, the SFR customer service (now external, and overseas to cut the prices) is quite awful. That's a real pity.

Moreover, apart from that poor general quality, I'm not sure indeed that they support also in English (that could be possible, maybe...)

> If you are still within the first 2 test-weeks, my advice - cancel the contract with SFR without hesitation!

Be aware of one important point about that advice:

in France, this is NOT a 2-week test, but this is a legal protection for remote purchase (where, by definition, you cannot directly observe what you're buying) that lets you change your mind during that 2-wek delay (even if the service has never been activated nor tested).

=> so this cancelation without any fee is possible ONLY for a subscription made by internet or by phone, not if you subscribed in a SFR shop.

=> if you subscribed in a shop (SFR or another), then a cancelation will legally charge you all the remaining months of your 12-month engaging contract

Be careful of that point.

bye

Comment gagner des badges

Badges En savoir plus